Sunday, January 24, 2010

Howard Jacobson Says Dawkins Is Missing Out

Howard Jacobson, author of some book that atheists will probably not read because they've heard the rhetoric time and time again, says that atheists lack imagination. Jacobson says:
This is why I have no time for the new aggressive form of popular atheism. It lacks imagination and, worse still, it lacks curiosity
Wow! Is that a nonsensical argument if I've ever heard one. This is to say that a significant portion of the scientific community (those non-believer types) lack imagination and curiosity. I think reasons for becoming a scientist, or atheist, was because we ask a lot of questions. When we don't get the answers that satisfy our curiosity, we disbelieve claims and do our own research.

As far as aggressiveness goes, no progress comes from indifference. Should I sit on my hands and have someone tell me the way things should be based on their sky-daddy mantra? We'll end up with people who think that the spirits that they talk to actually care and can intervene somehow in their daily lives!


Jacobson continues:
It astonishes me that he (Dawkins) should suffer so little perplexity, and to be truthful I suspect he misses out on many of the pleasures of uncertainty, wonderment and even fear.
There is enough phenomena in this reality to be fascinated with that I don't feel it's necessary to entertain Jacobson's ridicule-worthy Biblical claims. Jacobson thinks that atheists are seldom perplexed, uncertain, or fearful? This is not true by far. Many atheists are perplexed, uncertain, or fearful of what religious people are up to because they base some of their decisions on the non-demonstrable. Stay safe, atheists.

No comments:

Post a Comment